Dynamic Stretching Exercises
Dynamic stretching should always be included in the warm up. Controlled, slow movements combining the full range of motion ensure your joints are fully warmed up before exercise.
Joint Rotations Ensure you flex, extend, and rotate each of the following joints:
- Fingers/ Wrists/ Elbows/ Shoulders/ Neck/ Trunk and shoulder blades/ Hips/ Knees/ Ankles/ Feet and toes.
- Tuck your chin into your chest, and then lift your chin upward as far as possible. 6 – 10 repetitions.
- Lower your left ear toward your left shoulder and then your right ear to your right shoulder. 6 – 10 repetitions.
- Put your chin on your chest and laterally turn toward your left shoulder and then rotate it toward your right shoulder. 6 to 10 repetitions.
- Lift your right shoulder upwards towards your right ear, take it backwards in a smooth circular motion. Repeat with the other shoulder and then both together.
- Swing one arm up over your head backwards whilst dropping the other arm by your side. Immediately change positions with your arms. 6 – 10 repetitions.
- Swing both arms out to your sides with your palms up and then cross them in front of your chest with your palms down. 6 – 10 repetitions.
- Stand slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, with your hands resting down by your side.
- Without leaning forwards, bend your body as far as you can to your left and breathe out, come back to a central position and repeat on the other side.
- With your hands on your hips and feet spread shoulder width apart, make circles with your hips for 10 – 12 repetitions. Then repeat in the opposite direction.
Leg Raises. This exercise is very good for increasing flexibility.
- Face a wall and place both your hands on it. Taking all the weight on one leg lift the other an inch off the floor. Gently swing your leg behind you, locking it straight and forming your foot for a side kick. As the leg comes back down, keeping it locked, take it slightly past the standing leg and repeat the process. Keep the leg and hips locked whilst swinging. Repeat 50 times and then change legs.